Saturday, February 12, 2011

Singapore’s MRT: The Greatest Subway in the World.

I am not prone to hyperbole so the title of this blog entry is stating the truth: I was blown away by Singapore’s public transportation infrastructure.  Efficient, cheap, vast, it was everything you could want in a transportation system.  I think a lot of cities and countries could learn a few lessons by studying the MRT (are you listening Metro?). 
The plastic card you recycle for a deposit after a trip is complete.
First, let me list my qualifications as to why my opinion is valid.  I have been a commuter on DC’s Metro for the last 10 years.  Besides my daily commute, I have used the New York subway, the Boston MBTA, the Chicago CTA, the London Underground many times.  I have also tried San Francisco’s BART, Prague’s Metro, Metro de Madrid, Athens’ Metro, Paris’s Metro, Vienna’s U-Bahn, the tram systems of Amsterdam and Oslo, and many bus lines across the United States, Mexico, and Europe.  So this isn’t my first rodeo on a subway.

Why I Love Singapore’s MRT…let me count the ways…
1.       Ease of use.  From the machines to the clearly marked signs, it is very easy to use.  Fares are determined by destination, but the machine makes it so easy to calculate cost.  You pick “single trip” and the “select destination” and a map of the system appears and you touch the station you need to reach.  The price is calculated!  A plastic ticket is then dispensed.  When you are finished with your trip, you return the plastic ticket to a machine for a dollar refund. 
2.       The station agents are actually helpful.  Because the machines only give 4 dollars or less in change,  I needed to get change a few times and the station agents kindly make change for you—asking how many tickets you plan on getting so you have enough coins versus dollars.  
3.       Clean.  Probably not surprising, considering the city of Singapore’s reputation, but no litter, no food—sparkling, shiny new feeling throughout the stations and trains.
Arrows direct traffic flow making it smooth and quick.
4.       Quick.  The longest I had to wait for a train was maybe 4 minutes.  We took the trains at all hours, over weekends, etc., and never had to wait long.  You are also kept updated by computer monitors about the wait times. 
5.       Scope.  The subway allows you to reach huge swaths of the city and the amazing thing is the system is still growing.  We had Lonely Planet travel book from 2009 and an ENTIRE LINE wasn’t even on the subway map.  IT HAD BEEN BUILT IN TWO YEARS.  They are in the process of connecting the National University of Singapore (where I had the conference) with the subway.  I’m guessing if I go back there next year that will be completely done.
6.       Etiquette.  The helpful arrows on the floor, allow for traffic to easily flow out and onto the trains.  The stand on the right is reversed here (British colonial times to thank), but quicker walkers were able to move to their pace.  Seats were given to elderly passengers, quickly and without a fuss. 
7.       Safe.  Brightly lit stations, which were full at all hours.  Plus, glass walls separate the platform from the track so there is no way to fall onto the rails--I had never seen this before and it makes so much sense.
8.       Cheap.  The cheapest subway I think I’ve ridden on. Most rides were less than $1USD, even during rush hour.
9.       Finally…the escalators were glorious.  All functioning!  And, they move at quite the clip compared to the slow Metro escalators.  They were utterly magical.
I'm too tall to ride free, but it's cheap so that's okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment